A day after the deadly terror attack in Pulwama killing over 40 CRPF jawans, the Narendra Modi government announced the withdrawal Most Favoured Nation (MFN) status to Pakistan denouncing any trade benefits.
The government has also announced while it withdraws the most favoured nation tag given to Pakistan, it will be effectively closing down trade further between the two countries.
As the death toll raised, PM led cabinet had the cabinet committee of security with National Security Advisor Ajit Doval marking his presence. The CCS meeting was attended by Union ministers Arun Jaitley, Rajnath Singh, Nirmala Sitharaman and Sushma Swaraj
After presiding the meeting of Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), Prime Minister Narendra Modi said that CCS vowed complete isolation of Pakistan and assured that all measures will be taken to revenge the killings of brave jawans.
The Pulwama attack has been attributed as the worst-ever terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir where a suicide bomber rammed his vehicle loaded with heavy explosives into a Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) convoy on the Srinagar-Jammu highway. The incident left over 40 jawans dead and several injured. Pakistan-based terrorist group Jaish-e-Mohammad (JeM) claimed responsibility for the terror attack.
— ANI (@ANI) February 15, 2019
The suicide bomber has been identified as Adil Ahmad Dar who joined the terrorist organisation, Jaish-e-Mohammad, after quitting school and lived just 10 km far from the spot where he rammed his SUV with 350 kg of explosives into one of the 78 buses carrying convoy of 2,500 CRPF personnel from Jammu to Srinagar.
According to police records and government officials, Adil Ahmed, 22, from Gundibagh village in south Kashmir’s insurgency hotbed of Pulwama district quit school in March 2017 and a year later, joined the Pakistan-based terror group led by Masood Azhar.
Also known as “Adil Ahmad Gaadi Takranewala” and “Waqas Commando of Gundibagh”, his photo and videos emerged soon after the deadly attack.
“My name is Adil, I joined the Jaish e Mohammad a year ago. After a year’s wait, I have got the chance to do what I joined the Jaish for… By the time this video reaches you, I will be in heaven… this is my last message for the people of Kashmir,” Adil Ahmad says in the pre-recorded video, as part of an anti-India rant.
Local police say he is the third local suicide terrorist recruited by Jaish-e-Mohammad carrying out a large scale attack.
The others were Fardeen Ahmad Khan, 16, of Tral and 17-year-old Afaq Ahmad Shah, first local fidayeen to carry out a car bomb attack on the forces.
Fardeen was killed on December 31, 2017, when he, along with three foreign militants, sneaked into the CRPF training centre at Lethpora and killed five personnel while Afaq, blew up an explosive-laden vehicle outside the 15 Corps headquarters at Badami Bagh on the outskirts of Srinagar in early 2000, killing eight troopers.
The massive scale of the attack has stumped the investigating agencies given that almost the entire leadership of Jaish has been wiped out over the years.
Last year, security forces had claimed a big win after Mohammad Usman, believed to be the head of the module behind sniper attacks on forces in the Kashmir Valley, was killed by security men. Usman was the nephew of Moulana Masood Azhar, the chief of Jaish-e-Mohammad. In 2017, security forces killed Jaish’s operational chief Khalid in Baramulla.
Prime Minister condemns the attack
PM Narendra Modi during the inauguration of indigenously manufactured Vande Bharat Express strongly condemned the terror attack and paid tribute to CRPF soldiers who lost their lives in Pulwama by observing a two-minute silence for those martyred.
— ANI (@ANI) February 15, 2019
Responding to the public demand for carrying out another surgical strike, PM says, “logon ka khoon khaul raha hai, yeh main samajh raha hun. Humare suraksha balon ko purn swatantra de di gayi hai.”
Our security forces have been given full freedom. We have full faith in their bravery.
PM thanked the International community who came forward showing solidarity at this moment, “I thank all the nations who have supported us and condemned this incident in the strongest of terms. A strong reply will be given to this attack.”
He added by directly hitting Pakistan for its state-sponsored terrorism, “If our neighbour which is totally isolated in the world thinks it can destabilise India through its tactics and conspiracies, then it is making a big mistake”.
The forces behind this act of terrorism & those responsible for it, will be definitely be punished.
Union Minister Arun Jaitley, who resumed charge as finance minister on Friday, said the government will initiate all possible diplomatic steps to ensure Pakistan’s complete isolation from the international community for having a direct hand in this attack.
Congress president Rahul Gandhi also confirmed that the entire opposition stands together with the government.
Asserting that no force can divide or break the country, Congress president Rahul Gandhi said that the entire opposition will stand with the government “in its actions” in the wake of Pulwama terror attack
— ANI Digital (@ani_digital) February 15, 2019
India’s neighbours Bangladesh, Bhutan, Sri Lanka and the Maldives also expressed solidarity and vowed to combat the menace of terrorism jointly while Nepal PM spoke directly to PM through phone call expressing his condolences to the families of martyred.
Meanwhile, the White House has asked Pakistan to immediately end “support” and “safe haven” to all terror groups as it strongly condemned the Pulwama terrorist attack. “The United States calls on Pakistan to end immediately the support and safe haven provided to all terrorist groups operating on its soil, whose only goal is to sow chaos, violence, and terror in the region,” White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders said in a late-night statement after the attack.
Pakistan, responding to the allegations said that it has “always condemned acts of violence” anywhere in the world. “We strongly reject any insinuation by elements in the Indian media and government that seek to link the attack to Pakistan without investigations,” it said.
Experts of anti-terror commando force the National Security Guard (NSG) and investigators of the National Investigation Agency (NIA) has been sent to Jammu and Kashmir on Friday to join the probe into the terror attack in Pulwama in which at least 37 CRPF personnel were killed, officials said. On Thursday, a home ministry official had said an NIA team with forensic experts was being sent to Srinagar to assist Jammu and Kashmir Police in forensic evaluation of the scene of the crime.